Re: What is your view on Revelation?

From: Jim West (jwest@highland.net)
Date: Sun Jan 25 1998 - 16:57:28 EST

At 04:34 PM 1/25/97 -0500, you wrote:

>There are many people who would agree with your previous statements. I
>apparently am not one of them. I understand how "mythical" beliefs can come
>about but a proper understanding of the Revelation can only stem from a
>NON-SYMBOLIC reading of the Revelation. It is the symbolism and allegoric
>interpretations that cause most if not all of the confusion about this most
>wonderful book.

Are you saying that the portrayal of Christ in Chapter 1 is literal? Does
he really have metal feet and flaming eyes and a sword coming from his
mouth? Are there really huge frogs ready to attack from the east? Does
Jerusalem really fly down from the sky at the end of time?

If not, which images in the book are symbolic? Which literal? How do you
decide? Why?

>I'd like to apologize if this letter or my previous one offended any of
>you. Also, I'm sorry that this subject is so far distant from Greek. Keep
>the email going between us all, I for one am certainly learning more from
>reading here.

No one was offended. (maybe only amazed or amused) :)

Best,

Jim
Jim West, ThD
Adjunct Professor of Bible