Re: Greek for Idiots

From: JPDow (mathetes@erols.com)
Date: Mon Jan 26 1998 - 08:09:38 EST

Hello, Benjamin:

I appreciate your concerns over the non-challenging (and apparently
not very productive) Koine Greek course you are taking at the present
time.

My advice may sound simple, but it may be just what you need to do. I
suggest you enroll in a Greek course at another school (or at least
enroll in a course at your school that is taught by a different
professor).

I am currently an undergraduate student in my second semester of
Attic Greek, and this course is in many ways the opposite of the
course you are taking. There are no shortcuts taken, and the textbook
we use is very challenging, containing much more material than the
average first-year introductory level foreign language textbook (at
least in my experience). In fact at times I have actually felt that
the author intended the book for students who have already had some
background in Attic Greek and now wish to refresh their skills.
Nevertheless, the positive thing about such a book is that when one
is finished laboring and sweating over the material, he/she will
*definitely* know Greek and will be quite confident and prepared to
move on to a higher level of study.

I say all this just to point out the possible value of taking Greek
at another school (or at least at the same school but with a
different prof). If the course you are currently taking is too
simple and unchallenging and therefore not instructive, you might be
wise to question whether it is not a waste of money.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

mathetes@erols.com
WWW site: http://www.erols.com/mathetes
"Even so then, at this present time there is a remnant according to the
election of grace. And if by grace, then it is no longer of works; otherwise
grace is no longer grace. But if it is of works, it is no longer grace;
otherwise work is no longer work" (Romans 11:5-6, NKJV).