ARA GE

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 31 1998 - 05:09:03 EST

Can S. Porter be reconciled with BDF on the use of ARA and ARA GE?

When I ran into ARA GE in Acts 8:30 it was time for me to review the use of
ARA.

ARA with or without GE appears in two forms one with the acute and one with
the circumflex accent. I took a look in Smyth 2800, 2650-51 and then in BDF
439(1), 440(2) and finally in Porter (Idioms) page 206.

Smyth and BDF both treat the circumflex and acute accented ARA separately. BDF
440(2) states that ARA with the acute accent is inferential and with the
circumflex is interrogative. Porter (Idioms p. 206) states that they are
"different forms of the same thing."

Is this discrepancy a fault of BDF? Does BDF tend to preserve classical
distinctions that have gone out of existence in the Koine period? Or is Porter
simply wrong?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point