hO in 1 John 1:1

From: Benjamin Raymond (braymond@ipa.net)
Date: Tue Feb 03 1998 - 17:21:18 EST

Hi all,

I'm not satisfied with an answer I got in class today, and I'm hoping for
some direction.

1 John 1:1 begins with a predicate nominative hO, then repeats the hO three
more times. There is no way to distinguish between nominative and
accusative case here (as far as I can tell), apart from syntax.

I see the latter three relative pronouns as accusative, being the objects
of AKHKOAMEN, EWRAKAMEN, and EQEASAMEQA respectively.

I brought this up in class (a change in case for hO), and was told that hO
should be taken as nominative in each segment, as there can be a compound
subject (?).

Now I've never heard of this. I see no way around accusative unless it
falls under a special category of nominative with which I'm not familiar.
Logos parses the first as nominative, and the latter three as accusative.
Wallace gives examples and a definition which would lead me to conclude
that they are accusative by their function as objects of active verbs (and
QEAOMAI being deponent), with the possible exception of hO in John 4:22, of
which Wallace does not seem to identify the case (Doh!).

Any ideas on how to pin the case down? It's not particularly a huge
problem in this passage, but I can see where it could be.

thanks,
Ben
Benjamin Raymond
senior, Harding University School of Biblical Studies
braymond@ipa.net
HU Box 11871, 900 E Center
Searcy, AR 72149-0001
501-279-4820