Re: morphology question

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 06:31:55 EST

At 8:37 PM -0600 2/5/98, Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
>Excuse me for asking what I suspect is a very basic question, but
>according to a paradigm table I have the verb ending -ETW indicates a
>3rd person present active imperative.
>
>I didn't know there was such a thing... What does it mean? How would
>you translate, say, LUETW?

Pete Phillips is right; what we usually use is the periphrasis "Let him
undo/untie/explode/analyze ..." Actually I think we've had considerable
past discussion on this problem earlier on B-Greek.

I would add that that -TW is the 3rd person singular active imperative
ending, -TWN or more commonly in the NT -TWSAN the 3rd plural active, and
that for the middle/reflexive there are parallel forms in -SQW and
-SQWN/-SQWSAN; -ETW is not distinctly PRESENT but THEMATIC, and you'd find
it not only on LUETW but on a thematic aorist like EIPETW, while on a
sigmatic/alpha aorist you'd have -ATW.

Carl W. Conrad