Re: MH GENOITO

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 1998 - 13:04:37 EST

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Mark Goodacre wrote:

> I came across a nice new translation of MH GENOITO the other day in
> Richard Hays' *The Moral Vision of the New Testament*. He translates
> it:
>
> No way!
>
> Though this sounds a bit American, and makes Paul a bit too much like
> someone in *Wayne's World*, it certainly improves on 'God
> forbid!' (RSV).

This is nice, actually. And it reminds me of the shock of recognition I
had once when reading Plato's Apology and the phrase, ALL' OUK ESTIN hOPWS
SU TAUTA OUK ... (something like that) rose up and hit me in the face, and
I realized that this means: "But there's no way that you weren't ..."

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018