Re: Re: Johannine ARCH (was Jn.1:1b word order)

From: Revcraigh@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 18:01:58 EST

<<I understand that Greek prepositions have
a very, very wide range of usages, but if one is _in_ a time period
can it be said that one _preceded_ the time period ?

Well, it seems to me, the fact that the LOGOS preceded the beginning is
contained in the "tense" of the verb HN = was existing, or am I reading
something into that that I shouldn't be?

Also the fact that John goes on to say that all things were created through
Him and without Him nothing was created. If in fact ARXHi refers to the
creation of all things (Gen. 1:1) then the LOGOS *must* have preceded the
ARXHi or He would have been part of the creation. I think that the context
then makes it clear that the LOGOS was existing (already) when creation
happened = EN ARXHi.

EIRHNH,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon, pastor
Lutheran Church of the Apostles