Re: Acts 17:28

From: Troy A. Griffitts (troy@crosswire.org)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 02:21:11 EST

>> "In whom we ARE GIVEN LIFE, ARE MOVED, and ARE MADE TO EXIST"
>>or
>> "FOR whom WE LIVE, MOVE, and HAVE BEING."
>
>But the grammatical forms differ - the first and third verbs are
active,
>the second one (move) is medio-passive, which might be interpreted
either
>as middle or as passive.
>
>The translations "are given life" and "are made to exist" are just
plain
>wrong. For those of us who have been convinced by Carl's treatment of
>medio-passives, "live, move, and have being" may be an appropriate
>translation, but only because "move" is equivalent to the middle "move
>(with respect to ourselves)", which is difficult to translate directly
into
>English. I think that the verb KINEW (move) is used in the sense of
"move
>about" here.

Jonathan and Michael,
    I'm sorry. Just following the discussion and not looking at the
text, I commented pre-maturely. My error. I thought of a few ways to
salvage the integrety of my post, but they offered no insight save what
has been previously posted, or were feeble attempts. I will save
bandwidth now :)

Troy A. Griffitts
CrossWire Bible Society
http://www.crosswire.org
Committed to bringing free, quality Bible software study tools to new
generations.