RE: From Jesus to Christ (fwd)

From: Jeffrey Gibson (jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 19:15:45 EST

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Andrew Kulikovsky wrote:
> Robert Stein has released several books on critical issues and
> the Synoptic Problem as well as a book on the Historical Life of Jesus,
> just a couple of years ago
>
> See "Jesus the Messiah: A Survey of the Life of Christ",
> InterVarsity.
>
> To omit Stein is to leave a gaping hole in the discussion.

Well, I think Stein himself would disagree in as much as his Synoptic
Problem book (a very good discussion, I think) does not assume, as late
19th and early 20th cent. source critics did, that establishing what
the earliest of our extant sources are guarentees anything about their
historicity, and since his JM book is indeed a survey about what the
principle players in the quest are saying, and was not intended to be
an original contribution.

In any case, who is and who is not a competent HJ scholar, and who or
who should not be interviewed for a program which deals with the
sociological factors of the spread of Christianity, is really quite off
topic for B-Greek.

I only posted the notice of the PBS program because I know that the HJ
is an interest to many on the list. But where this thread is now going is
more appropriate on Crosstalk. Let's move it there, shall we?

Jeffrey Gibson
jgibson@acfsysv.roosevelt.edu

It was
not to start Many on the list, however, are not he seems to regard hi