Mic 5:2, ARCH, Jn 1:1

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 22:05:24 EST

B-Greekers:

Does EN ARCHi in Jn 1:1 refer to an absolute beginning, or to some other
beginning? While the parallel with Gen 1:1 may not answer the question,
Micah 5:2 does appear to do so.

KAI SU BHQLEEM OIKOS EFRAQA ... EK SOU MOI EXELEUSETAI, TOU EINAI EIS
ARCONTA TOU ISRAHL, KAI EXODOU AUTOU AP' ARCHS EX hHMERWN AIWNOS.

"and thou, Bethlehem, house of Ephratha ... out of you shall come forth
to me, to be a ruler of Israel, and his goings forth are from the
beginning, from the days of eternity."

There is no question that this one whose "goings forth are from the
beginning, from the days of eternity" (AP' ARCHS EX hHMERWN AIWNOS) is
none other than the LOGOS of Jn 1:1, later identified as Christ. John
even makes a specific reference to this OT passage in Jn 7:42 where he
identifies this eternal one of Micah 5:2 as the Christ, hO CRISTOS.

Let's put a lid on this, pack our bags, and go home.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]