Re: Did Judas know?

From: John Barach (jbarach@connect.ab.ca)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 09:02:33 EST

Paul asks:

>In Mt 26:25 Judas asks Christ, MHTI EGW EIMI, hRABBI;
>Christ responds, SU EIMAS.

>Two questions/observations:
>1. Does the way Judas ask the question (use of MHTI which expects a
>negative answer), necessarily imply or suggest Judas himself did not
>really know that he was going to betray Christ and that the thought had
>not yet entered his mind? It is here or shortly after, according to AT
>Robertson's harmony, that Satan entered into Judas (Jn 13:27).

According to Matthew himself, the thought *had* already entered Judas's
mind. See verses 14-16 in the same chapter! Surely we ought not to
suppose that the "necessary implications" of Matthew's grammar in 26:25
could contradict the necessary implications of Matthew's context.

Regards,

John Barach
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada