AGAPH and Lexical Resources

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 05:07:27 EST

In trying to answer Paul Zellmer's question on the use of AGAPH in Jude 12, I
decided to check all of my lexical resources. This little exercise took about
an hour. I had to look in the following: BAGD, LSJ, Louw & Nida, Thayer, Lust,
TDNT, NIDNTT, EDNT, Spicq, Cremer, Mult. & Milligan. I did not look in
Cunliffe or Pring because I new better.

I have performed similar exercises before and have reached some tentative
conclusions that might be useful to those still acquiring their library.

The compiling of lexical resources is primarily a process of plagiarizing
previous works.

No one except a professor of NT needs to own all of these books.

If you want to get 99% of the useful information on Koine Greek lexica
purchase three works: BAGD, LSJ, and Louw & Nida. You can live without the
rest of them with little noticeable loss.

I hope this saves some of you students some $$$.
I am also certain that someone on this list will take exception to what I have
stated above.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point