Love feasts in Jude 12

From: Paul Zellmer (zellmer@isabela.faith.edu.ph)
Date: Sun Feb 15 1998 - 17:54:06 EST

Jude has been giving me problems. And just when I think I get to a
phrase I understand, all other translations take a unique jog and leave
me behind.

Could someone please explain to me why AGAPAIS in Jude 12 is
translated, "love feasts" by many if not all the common versions? I
looked in vain for a textual variant here. Is the plural form changing
the noun to "+counting" and the English word "love", when used to
translate AGAPE, is considered "-counting"? Or is there something in
the way the Fathers use AGAPE in the plural to refer to love feasts?
Please, what's going on here?

Thanks,

Paul

-----