Re: Ro2:15 TWN LOGISMWN

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 13:17:51 EST

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 22:55:00 +0800 Steven Cox
<scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net> writes:
> I may be inventing difficulty where there is none,
> but what is the relation of TWN LOGISMWN in Ro 2:15
> to the accusing and defending?
>
> METAXU ALLHLWN TWN LOGISMWN KATHGOROUNTWN hH KAI
> APOLOGOUMENWN

You probably aren't inventing difficulty here, since some of us came
across that a while back. TWN LOGISMWN ... APOLOGOUMENWN appears to be a
genitive absolute construction. It seems to me, however, that the real
problem is with the meaning of ALLHLWN. Should it be taken in synonymous
parallel with the preceding AUTWN and viewed as synonymous with it and
the change in words being merely for stylistic purposes, or should it be
taken in contrast to AUTWN? That is, are the Gentile thoughts
characterized by the alternate accusing and excusing of oneself, or are
the Gentiles doing it to one another?

But, the point seems to be carried either way.

Paul Dixon

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]