Re: Re: In the name of ...

From: Edgar Foster (dzetesis@mailexcite.com)
Date: Thu Mar 12 1998 - 12:48:31 EST

Paul Dixon wrote:

>>My suspicions are that we should understand TO ONOMA to be repeated before TOU
hUIOU and before TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOU, so that we get in essence is:

EIS TO ONOMA TOU PATROUS KAI (TO ONOMA) TOU hUIOU KAI (TO ONOMA) TOU hAGIOU PNUEMATOUS.<<

I agree, in essence, with your comments Paul. We would probably not come to the same
theological conclusions, however. Be that as it may, I see no need to apply the one
ONOMA to the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. My basis for this is the use of KAI. KAI
seems to be used here in a contrastive sense. This would therefore mean that the
Father, Son and Holy Spirit all have "names," but they don't have the same NAME.
Rev. 3:12 also seems to tie in with this thought.

Further, Cf. 1 Cor. 8:5 and its use of KAI:

EISIN QEOI POLLOI KAI KURIOI POLLOI.

"There be (so called) gods many AND lords many."

Edgar Foster
Classical Languages Major
fos@vvi.net
dzetesis@mailexcite.com