[Fwd: article with prepositional phrase (Rom. 9:5)]

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Fri Mar 13 1998 - 12:17:00 EST

Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 07:57:56 -0800
From: dalmatia@eburg.com
To: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>
Subject: Re: article with prepositional phrase (Rom. 9:5)

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> At 8:39 AM -0600 3/13/98, David Mills wrote:

> >The phrase TO KATA SARKA is a little puzzling to me, and I don't find much
> >help in any of my resource books. Why is an article needed? What
> >determines the case of the article? What does this construction mean?
> >Thanks.

Hello David and Carl ~

This is my first posting to b-greek...

Perhaps the idea of crescendo might help, as the avalanche of
intensity builds from 9:1 to the AMHN in 9:5.

KATA SARKA is introduced in 9:3 describing the Israelites, then
reappears in 9:5 with TO as an emphatic that gives it much greater
power as an attribution of the Christ. I think Paul might write like
he talks, and if that is true, reading him aloud, as a orator almost,
in the Greek, could be helpful...

George Blaisdell