Re: Blackwelder...and aspect/Aktionsart, etc.

From: Rod Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 15:04:37 EST

>the sense that the action is not taking place in a "present" time
>frame (I think this is metalingual ?). Thus the "aoristic" present
>feels like it is portraying a past action simply because of the
>aspectual nuance, not because there is not temporal grammaticalization;
>its almost a Past Instans (ala the Future Instans).

I don't dare take time for a full response here. Let me just point out that
I think that "aoristic present" is an *Aktionsart* category, not an
aspectual one. Arguments for such a creature always point to the nature of
the action so described--and that is *not* what aspect is all about--but
that IS what Aktionsart is intended to describe.

Rod

 Rodney J. Decker Baptist Bible Seminary
 Asst. Prof./NT P O Box 800
 rdecker@bbc.edu Clarks Summit PA 18411