Re: Luke 22:20

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 19:23:53 EST

At 4:52 PM -0600 3/16/98, George Athas wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> But how can it be predicative when there's an article in front of it? I
>> think one might well argue that it really is attributive without an
>> article, in which case one could make out a case for its being EITHER
>> attributive OR predicative, but I don't see how it can be predicative with
>> the article there.
>
>In the same way that H KAINH DIAQHKH is predicative earlier in the verse - it
> has an article there, too.

This is not comparable. hH KAINH DIAQHKH is in fact the predicate to TOUTO
TO POTHRION, linked to it by ESTIN, while TO hUPER hUMWN EKCUNNOMENON is
linked directly to TOUTO TO POTHRION by article and by participle in
agreement with POTHRION.

At least, that's the way I've understood and taught the distinction between
predicative and attributive adjectives/participles.

Carl W. Conrad