Re: TI POIEITE LUONTES (Mk. 11:5)

From: Randy LEEDY (RLEEDY@bju.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 06 1998 - 08:54:31 EST

Peter,

Thanks for the note. I don't think "what are you doing AS YOU UNTIE
the colt?" really fits. The alternative, simpler, expression that I'm
saying would fit the context would be (DIA) TI LUETE TON PWLON?, "Why
are you untying the colt?" BDF call the ptcp in this verse
supplementary rather than circumstantial, so I don't think they are
taking it your way, either.

Randy Leedy
RLeedy@bju.edu

>>> "Peter Phillips" <p.m.phillips@champness.shef.ac.uk> 3/6/98,
03:06am >>>
I wonder whether this construction is all that strange in Koine -
surely it
is simply "what are you doing as you untie the colt?" - the
participle
pointing to an uncompleted action concurrent with the finite verb -
how else
would we expect the Greek to be phrased?

Pete Phillips
New Testament Lecturer/IT
Cliff College, Calver, Sheffield
Tel: 01246 582321 Fax: 01246 583739