Re: The Pres Subst Ptc of PISTEUW in Jn

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Mar 18 1998 - 14:42:31 EST

Paul:

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this...

I went back and looked at each example and I can't see any
necessary justification in any of the verses to read "the one(s)
who believe(s) as anything other than a simple statment that
these folks are believers. In other words, I can't see any reason
to think that these are statements of the necessity of faithfulness.
I agree that in some cases there is the supposition that these
folks have not changed their minds about Jesus/the Gospel and thus
become apostates, but I can't see how that equates with these
people living a life at some standard of faithfulness (NB: I'm
not saying that Scripture doesn't teach that believers should be
faithful or that such faithfulness is expected or that its required
to experience certain spiritual benefits or any such thing...since
I believe it clearly does.), if that is what you are implying by
your use of customary/habitual.

BTW, either you or someone else asked if there was an unequivocal
used of the Pres Subst Ptc of PISTEUW that just referred to
the believer as a believer and nothing more. In my 2nd year
reading class yesterday we were reading 1Thes and I was struck
by 2:10:

hUMEIS MARTURES KAI hO QEOS, hWS hOSIWS KAI DIKAIWS KAI AMEMPTWS
hUMIN TOIS PISTEUOUSIN EGENHQHMEN.

"Both you and God are witnesses how/that we became holy, and
righteous, and blameless to you believers."

It would seem incredible to me if Paul and his fellow-workers
only adopted an blameless, etc., lifestyle with those who were
customarily/habitually faithful in their behavior and would
act "unrighteously" towards church members who might be
struggling with sin.

Well that's my $0.02 worth...and I think I'd better stop before
Edward and/or Carl get on my case... (-;

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com