Re: (phonemes) Particle Construction of (Greek) Words

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Mar 22 1998 - 12:53:45 EST

---"Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

>Does anyone know the etymology of "eschew"? I
> don't.

Briefly,

according to one source I have, the etymological roots of "eschew" are
as follows:

"OF (Old French) eschiver, Rom. skivare, Gmc. (Germanic) skeux (w) an
(OHG) sciuhen, G. scheuen, f. skeux (w) az. SHY."

Now this being said, I'd like to say that I opt for a combination of
diachrony and synchrony when I study a word. Synchrony, however, is
the most important aspect of word study.

E. Foster

fos@vvi.net
Questioning1@yahoo.com