RE: basileuw epi

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Mar 24 1998 - 18:03:52 EST

---"Williams, Wes" wrote:

> Rob asked:

> > question.
> >
> > Rev 5:10- kings on the earth (KJ,NIV etc.)
> >
> > Other translations favour 'over' for epi. Does 'tes ges' being
> > genitive
> > have any bearing on this, or is this driven by theological bias.
> >
> Dear Rob,
>
> You ask a very proper question on the proper translation of Rev
5:10. I
> was trying to avoid introducing theology in my previous post by
focusing
> on LXX usage of BASILEUW + EPI. Coming to the GNT of BASILEUW + EPI
with
> the LXX as background, here are my thoughts on Rev 5:10 "on the earth"
> versus "over the earth."
>
> Usage of EPI followed by BASILEUW in the 53 instances in the LXX and
in
> the other three GNT instances (Luke 1:33; Luke 19:14, 27) favor
"over"
> as extent of the rulership. I find no instances to support the
> conversion of EPI to a locative "upon".
>
> Revelation itself has some instances of EPI + genitive following the
> idea of extent of dominion. They are:
> Rev 9:11 EXOUSIN EP AUTWN BASILEA
> They have a king over them
>
> Rev 17:18 hH EXOUSA BASILEIAN EPI TWN BASILEWN THS GHS
> which has a kingdom over the kings of the earth
>
> The NIV Study Bible cites three references in a footnote on the Rev
5:10
> phrase "they will rule as kings on the earth." Curiously, EPI is
> translated "over" (extent) in those verses where EPI appears in them:
>
> Rev 2:26 DWSW AUTW EXOUSIAN EPI TWN EQNWN
> I will give them authority over the nations
>
> Rev 20:6 EPI TOUTWN hO DEUTEROS QANATOS OUK ECEI EXOUSIAN
> over them the second death has no authority
>
> We have the preposition EN (not EPI) to express location in Micah 4:7
> with BASILEUW
> Micah 4:7 KAI BASILEUSEI EP AUTOUS EN OREI SIWN
> and he will rule as king over them in/on Mount Sion
>
> 2 Kings 11:3 and 2 Chron 22:12 say that Athaliah (GOQOLIA) EBASILEUSEN
> EPI THS GHS. Here "over the land" instead of "on the earth."
>
> In short, I find little evidence for rendering the EPI in BASILEUW EPI
> as a locative even though many translations do so. Following the above
> line of evidence, "They will rule as kings over the earth" is
difficult
> to overcome. "On the earth" could give the reader the misconception
that
> the Rev 5:10 phrase is expressing location rather than the extent of
> rulership. Darby and some others translate Rev 5:10 as "over the
earth"
> to show the extent of rulership and it appears to me to be correct.
>
> Sincerely,
> Wes Williams

I checked BAGD to see what it had to say about the translation of EPI
in Rev. 5:9, 10. On p. 286, this reference work points out that when
EPI is employed in the Genitive case and has reference to power or
authority, it is to be understood in the sense as "over."

Some examples are:

Rev. 5:10 (which you mentioned).

Acts 8:27-hOS HN EPI PASHE THS GAZHS AUTHS

Rom. 9:5-HO WN EPI PANTWN QEOS EULOGHTOS EIS TOUS AIWNAS

Eph. 4:6-EIS QEOS KAI PATHR PANTWN hO EPI PANTWN KAI DIA PANTWN KAI EN
PASIN

Acts 12:20-BLASTON TON EPI TOU KOITWNOS TOU BASILEWS

To these examples I would like to add, Matt. 24:47:

EPI PASIN TOIS hUPARCOUSIN AUTOU KATASTHSEI AUTON

E. Foster

fos@vvi.net
Questioning1@yahoo.com
Dzetesis@mailexcite.com