Pragmatic/Semantic

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Mon Mar 16 1998 - 15:48:39 EST

This is a little off topic so responses should probably be private, thanks.

The aspect theory people throw around the terms semantic and pragmatic in a
manner that leaves my head spinning. I am hopelessly out of date since my
study of semantics predated the flowering of the aspect theory debate.

Could one of you who have studied this help me understand how these two terms
are currently being used. Please keep in mind I don't know all the current
linguistics terminology so the definitions have to be in plain language.

Meanwhile I am going to check Micheal Palmer's web page and see if he has
anything on this.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point