Question on Hebrews 11:32

From: Robert W. Meyers (bwmeyers@atnet.net)
Date: Sun Apr 05 1998 - 11:22:14 EDT

 Although most commentators make an attempt, none are very successful at
 showing why these four apparent "failures," Barak, Samson, Jephthah, and
 Gideon would be included in this spectacular list. At the bottom of the
 list Samson would appear, it seems to me. Of course, Sara's earlier
 mention, in vs 11, would also be included as puzzling.

 Any ideas that I haven't yet read? To which dismal event in Samson's life
 would God attribute praise of his faith? His victories against the
 Philistines were simply a forgone conclusion, it seems to me, having no
 particular connection to his faithfulness or faith: "The Spirit of the
 Lord came upon him. . ." And he is probably best remembered because of his
 demise at the hands of Delilah, resulting from the same selfish "loving
 pleasures rather than God" which appear to characterize everything he
 ever did, on his own.

 And Jephthah is probably best remembered by his foolish ? vow, bearing
 every resemblance to the "abominations of the children of Israel" in
 sacrificing their children to Moloch, "which I did not command them to
 do." But the Author of Hebrews appears to refer to this very event?

 And Barak was specifically told by Deborah God? that he would be
 unworthy of, and receive no honor for the victory, since he refused to do
 it without her with him. In other words, his faith was in Deborah, rather
 than in God? Like the modern charismatic, who parades his faith "in the
 Blood," rather than in Christ. Isn't this the main point we remember of
 Barak?

 Why would such men and women as these be listed, rather than Abigail,
 Job, Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego, Abimelech, the centurions, Joseph, the
 magi, the owner of the donkey the Lord used, the Philippian jailor, etc?

 Surely, there is a Divine reason everyone is missing, here. A reason
 on the order of the marvelous subtle revelations about Abraham's
 thinking when he told the young men that he and Isaac would return to
 them, and the thoughts of Moses' parents when they perceived that
 Moses was a Divine child, etc. A reason in keeping with the beautiful
 statement of Hebrews 11, "they that say such things declare that they seek
 a City," that "they confess that they are strangers and pilgrims in this
 world." How on earth could talk like that be applied to the likes of
 Samson???

 What is that hidden reason for the inclusion of these, of all people?

Bob

|This message brought to you by: |
|AT-NET Connections, Inc. (509) 766-7253 |
|Serving the Internet to the Columbia Basin. |