Re: Jn 21:15-17

From: Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Date: Fri Apr 17 1998 - 08:15:11 EDT

        Jim
        I'm very happy to see you say that AGAPAW and FILEW _do_
        really mean something different (in this dialogue) after all.
        Without wishing to get on Carson's case again, Fallacies p52
        ("For various reasons I doubt very much that there is an
        intended distinction") has got lots of good citizens thinking
        that the imperial old chestnut in this verse has no togs on,
        but I cannot think of another word game in John that so
        clearly screams out (p52 now has a big marmalade blotch on
        it in my copy).

        And the "third time" does not have to imply AGAPAW and FILEW
        are synomous. LEGEI TO TRITON implies only three utterances
        in approximately the same direction, as in any other language,
        and the TO TRITON is part of the reason why Peter was sad
        ELUPHQH hO PETROS OTI *EIPEN TO TRITON AUTWi* FILEIS ME

        why did saying it TO TRITON make Peter want to cry?

        Peter in Gethsemane?
        KAI ERCETAI *TO TRITON KAI LEGEI AUTOIS* (Mark14:41)

        Peter in the crowd?
        hO DE *TRITON EIPEN* PROS AUTOUS (Luke 23:22)

        Peter in the courtyard?
        ..hEWS OU ARNHSH ME TRIS (John13:38)

        but then I just love parallels and symmetry
        Shalom
        Steven