Re: IDE hO TOPOS vs. IDETE TON TOPON

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 23 1998 - 23:14:59 EDT

On Wed 22 Apr 98 (22:03:28), braymond@ipa.net wrote:
>1. Why does the object (if it is indeed an object proper) take the
>nominative in Mark? I understand this is not unknown in the NT (e.g.,
>Mark 3:34), but it still seems rather strange to me.
>
>2. Why does Mark use the singular imperative?
>
>Thanks,
>Ben

 Dear Ben,

 My quick stab at this would be to say that Mark is using the 2 sing
 imperative IDE as if it were a demonstrative like the French "Voici" or
 "Voil": "See!" or "Look!", or "here is/are..." or "there is/are...".

 As the verb 'to be' is understood, it looks as if IDE has a direct object
 in the Nominative; but in fact it behaves as the complement of IDE.
 Russian /Vot!/ behaves in the same way.

 "Voici le lieu o on l'avait mis" (Selon Marc 16:6, Ostervald).
  ^^^^^
 The other Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF