Re: John 21.6b

From: dalmatia@eburg.com
Date: Sat May 02 1998 - 18:03:06 EDT

Chuck Tripp wrote:

> I am looking
> at John 21.6.
> It goes as follows:
>
> EBALON OUN, KAI OUKETI AUTO hELKUSAI ISXUON APO TOU PLHQOUS TWN ICQUWN

Chuck ~

It makes a huge translational difference whether one understands this
passage as a sacred teaching or a mere historical account illustrating
the glory of Christ.

Watch!! The caps indicate a louder voice.

Historical:

"So they DID cast their net off the right side of the ship, and
couldn't even DRAG it back aboard, so many fish did it have in it."

Not too bad, eh? That's what happenned, right? No prob, man!

Greek Transliteration:

"They throw ACCORDINGLY and yet not IT TO DRAG have they strength from
the multitude of the fish[es]"

This one forces the reader/listener to re-read it and to think.

English Transliteration:

"They throw accordingly, and yet do not have strength to drag it, from
the multitude of fish."

I like this one, but would rather see the reader struggle with number
2. Number one is, to my prejudiced eyes, little more than trash.
Accurate translation is the key... I view the aorists as quasi
gnomic, thereby placing them in the non-ongoing English 'present' that
you see in 2 and 3.

George Blaisdell