Re: Wallace & 1 John 5:20

From: GregStffrd (GregStffrd@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 01 1998 - 12:51:07 EDT

<< Does anybody on the list have access to Wallace's dissertation, "The
 Article with Multiple Substantives . . . "? Does Wallace believe 1
 John 5:20 fits Sharp's rule? I believe he discusses this verse on pp.
 271-77. Thanks.

 Chris Vlachos
 Instructor of NT Greek
 Utah Institute for Biblical Studies
 (Salt Lake Seminary) >>

Dear Chris:

Wallace leans toward applying both nouns to the same person, but because this
example involves mixed constituents, different genders, and lacks sufficient
parallels, he does not give any definite conclusions. I think if we see the
use of hO ALHTHINOS THEOS as a title for the Father, which is how Jesus uses
it in John 17:3 (note that he restricts it to the Father by his use [or John's
use, rather] of MONOS), as well as recognize the distinction made between
Jesus in 1 John 5:20 and "the true one" (TON ALHTHINON), then if Jesus is
understood as the"life," the two nouns should be separated.

Greg Stafford
University of Wisconsin