Re: Snorting, sniffing, groaning, bowels, and emotions...

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 21 1998 - 21:37:35 EDT

On Sat 20 Jun 98 (17:04:48), jonathan@texcel.no wrote:
> Help! Isn't there another verb like EMBRIMAOMAI that is also used to
> describe a snorting kind of sound that a horse makes as well as to express
> indignation or anger? I seem to recall having run into one that is used
> in the gospels, but I can't find it now...
>
> Is it fair to say that Greek verbs used for the emotions are often based
> on very concrete sounds and bodily sensations, much more so than the
> equivalent verbs in English?

 Jonathan:

 I like the one in the LXX at Jeremiah 5:8 hIPPOI QHLUMANEIS EGENHQHSAN,
 hEKASTOS EPI THN GUNAIKA TOU PLHSION AUTOU *ECREMETIZON*.

 It recurs at Jeremiah 8:16 APO FWNHS *CREMETISMOU* hIPPASIAS hIPPWN AUTOU
 ESEISQH PASA hH GH. One can almost feel the earth "quaking" here!

 There are many such "onomatopoeic" words in English and in Greek, not to
 mention Hebrew and other languages.

 I see Maurice O'Sullivan has found some NT examples for you.

 Ben

--
 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF
 <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>