Re: Couple o' quick questions

From: Jack Kilmon (jkilmon@historian.net)
Date: Tue Jun 23 1998 - 14:13:02 EDT

Stephen Long wrote:

> Does anybody know of a good book or article that deals with semitic language influence on the New
> Testament or LXX?

    There are excellent books by Matthew Black, Joseph Fitzmyer and J. Jeremias.

> Also, is there a rule of translating similar to Occam's Razor, that the simplest explanation is the
> most likely?

    When it comes to Semitic (Hebrew/Aramaic) to Greek, I have never been able to get
Occam's trusty shiv to cut. First is the issue of whether LXX variant readings are a
product of the translator or a product of a variant text used by the translator. Until the
shortened version of Jeremiah was found in the DSS, the LXX version was thought to
be the product of the translator. 4QSam also is closer to LXX than the MT.

   For the NT, I find Luke and 4G to be the best examples of Semitic influence.

Jack
jkilmon@historian.net

http://www.historian.net

---