Re: Harmonization of Gospels

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 16:20:58 EDT

Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> Greetings B-Greekers.
>
> Can anyone direct me to an harmonization of the gospels that integrates
> all four documents into one single narrative (as opposed to four columns
> laid side-by-side)? I think this should be handled off-list. Many
> thanks.

Ted

It's a little difficult to know what you are asking for here. No such
genuine harminization could be written because --given the well known
contradictions and inconsitencies in the four Gospels-- there is no "one
single narrative".

There are certainly many popular "stories of Jesus, that attempt to do
this (one thinks, for example, of "The Greatest Story ever Told" --the
tradition reaches back to Tatian). But such books only work because they
explicitly gloss over or --more often-- simply omit such difficulties.

One could _image_ a single text that was filled with passages like "At
this point Jesus did X according to Mark, but he said Y according to
John". But such complexities are surely more easily handled in a
"side-by-side" (more properly "Synoptic") lay-out.

Nichael

--
Nichael Cramer
work: ncramer@bbn.com