Re: Harmonization of Gospels

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Fri Jun 26 1998 - 16:31:30 EDT

At 04:20 PM 6/26/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Theodore H. Mann wrote:
>
>> Greetings B-Greekers.
>>
>> Can anyone direct me to an harmonization of the gospels that integrates
>> all four documents into one single narrative (as opposed to four columns
>> laid side-by-side)? I think this should be handled off-list. Many
>> thanks.

A friend many years ago did this very thing. Unfortunately I do not think
he ever published it. His name was (is?) Frank White. He attended SEBTS,
and he may still be involved in things academic (though I do not know).
Anyway, his work was a harmony like you describe offered as a ThM thesis.

I read it back then (in the mid to late 80's) and it simply combined the
stories that could be combined while following the outline of AT Robertson's
"Harmony of the Gospels".

Such harmonizations are, to my mind, unproductive, as they flatten out the
differences and thus represent documents and ideas that never really existed.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD
Pastor, Petros Baptist Church