Re: Condescension

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 15:47:04 EDT

At 02:15 PM 7/9/98 +0000, Jon Robertson wrote:

>Just a suggestion - how about if we send even potentially
>condescending emails privately?? No need to denigrate (or
>potentially appear to denigrate) anyone's lack of preparation for all
>to see.

If this is in reference to Will Wager's message, which clearly showed me to
be both wrong and unprepared, then I disagree with you. Anyone who posts to
B-Greek runs the risk of being obviously wrong. Now it would be wrong to
(1) make fun of someone, (2) insult their character, (3) insult their faith
stance, (4) call names, etc., but pointing out that there are some basic
things that I had overlooked is very useful. I learned from it, and anybody
who would have taken my original post too much at face value probably
learned from it too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with pointing out mistakes on B-Greek.
And there's nothing wrong with doing it publically, since the post that is
being corrected was also public. It should, however, be done with respect
for the person who made the mistake.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine