Re: Mark 3:16

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 08:03:01 EDT

At 7:48 AM -0400 7/01/98, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Mark 3:16 [KAI EPOIHSEN TOUS DWDEKA] KAI **EPEQHKEN ONOMA TWi SIMWNI
>PETRON**, KAI IAKWBON TON TOU ZEBEDAIOU KAI IWANNHN TON ADELFON TOU IAKWBOU
>KAI **EPEQHKEN AUTOIS ONOMATA BOANHERGES**, hO ESTIN hUIOI BRONTHS; KAI
>ANDREAN KAI FILIPPON KAI BARQOLOMAION KAI MAQQAION KAI QWMAN KAI IAKWBON
>TON TOU hALFAIOU KAI QADDAION KAI SIMWNA TON KANANAION KAI IOUDAN ISKARIWQ,
>hOS KAI PAREDWKEN AUTON.
>
>Is the form of these sentences a little awkward in the Greek? In the phrase
>EPEQHKEN ONOMA TWi SIMWNI PETRON, it doesn't specifically state that he
>also made Simon one of the disciples, just that he gave him the name Peter,
>but it obviously intends to list him as the first of the 12 disciples.

Yes, it surely does; I suppose that redaction critics have already dealt
with this; but my guess would be that Mark probably had a text-tradition
that read something like KAI EPOIHSEN TOUS DWDEKA KAI PETRON KAI IAKWBON
... with the 12 names all there, and that to this Mark (or possibly even
his source) added EPEQHKEN TWi SIMWNI ONOMA to precede PETRON, leaving
PETRON properly functioning only as predicate accusative to EPEQHKEN,
although it must also be understood as one of the parallel appositive
accusative objects of EPOIHSEN TOUS DWDEKA. It would be worth checking
Metzer's critical commentary here, which I have somewhere here but not
ready to hand.

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu

b-greek home page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/bgreek