HO LOGOS - The Marshal(ler)

From: AgapeLove9@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 23:44:20 EDT

Pardon my late response. I can only respond once daily. So, pardon me if it
appears as though I am elongating a thread when really I am not.

I found this Translation's footnote on "Marshal" persuading. Please give
feedback as to whether LOGOS could have a reference to "putting in order"
"marshalling" rather than to a spoken word, which is the unquestioning
assumption of many. Isn't this similar to those lego (LEGW) blocks implying
"assembling?"

Larry Swain wrote:
>>It is rather interesting to me that in one breaath he defends his
translation as "literal" and anyone who disagrees with the translation then
of course isn't being literal. At the seame time is this new "word" or idea
deposited "Marshal"....interesting indeed.<<

The Translation has a Preface that explains the reason for the twofold
translation approach. Most translations take a compromise approach between
literal and free. The preface says that this translation tries to avoid that
compromise by presenting both a literal translation and a free one. I did not
get the impression that the literal translation was THE literal translation.
Rather, the preface says: "There have been very few if any literal
translations in English since the notable one made by Robert Young in 1862
with later revisions." He continues later: "In the literal translation the aim
has been to adhere to the original text as closely as possible, and in
particular, to preserve the mood, tense, voice, and intensity of verbal forms,
as well as conveying shades of meaning of other words that are often lost."
>From watching this list, there has certainly been advancement in these areas
since 1862!

>>A lot of consideration goes into a translation, or should, more than just
the literalaness of the language. For example that the first book of the
Hebrew Bible begins with the words EN ARCH and so does the gospel speaking
of beginning things is just too coincidental for words. Further is the fact
that creation and new creatoin is such an important theme in John that this
certainly must color how we understand the first verse. And of course if
John is as late as many believe, could it be that John is using the Targumic
idea of the Memra of Adonai as the agent of creation? HMMMM....Finally is a
difficult one for students of Greek, but because a noun is anarthrous does
not necessarily mean that it is anarthrous.
<<

I am no expert. Allow me to post the translator's reason for "the Marshal" and
invite the list to give feedback. I sense reasonableness in his answer. Did
the etymological timeframe of LEGW allow for "assemble" or "marshal" during
our period? Here it is:

Marshal

The Greek term LOGOS used at John 1:1, is almost universally translated
'Word', and so has become one of the recognized titles of our Lord. The
expression refers to Jesus Christ in his prehuman existence before the start
of creation, as the following verses make clear. The role has been likened
to the Abyssinian Kal Hatze (Word of the King), an official who would stand
on a balcony in front of a curtain and communicate to others the message of
the king who was concealed behind the curtain.

While the term 'word' accurately translates the Greek LOGOS, and the
corresponding verb LEGW is used almost universally in connection with verbal
speech, questions arise as to this use here. All the titles of God and his
Son are meaningful, so the question must be asked as to how it could apply
if there were no other creatures then existing with whom he could
communicate. Furthermore, in the accounts of conversations in the heavenly
realm (Job 2:1-6; 1 Kings 22:19-22) no intermediary or spokesman is
indicated, the angels spoke directly to God.

It may be considered that his role as intermediary between man and God was
anticipated. Yet nowhere else apart from a similar passage at 1 John 1:1 and
one reference in Revelation which does not involve communication, is he
referred to as the LOGOS, even when a discussion of that role would warrant
it. The inference is then, that the LOGOS was a title that applied to his
prehuman existence and to a role that he then performed which did not
necessarily involve communication.

The original meaning of LEGW was 'to lay, arrange or put together'. The
arrangement or putting together of thoughts result in speech, hence the
verbal meaning. However, as the LOGOS put together the entire universe under
his Father's direction, this original meaning of LOGOS would seem to be the
primary one intended here, rather than any form of communication at that
time. He was the Great Marshal, marshalling all the resources that his
Father had placed at his disposal. THis orderly arrangement is clearly seen
in the creation of the earth as described in Genesis 1. <snip> So the LOGOS
marshalled and put in order the matter created by his Father, who is
therefore uniquely the Creator.

To abandon a title which has so long been accepted by so many is not a
decision to be taken lightly. However, in view of what are believed to be
valid reasons as described above, and in the interests of greater
clarification and de-mystifiying of the sacred account, that decision was
made. The term 'Marshal' which complies with the basic meaning of the Greek
word and is appropriate for the context has therefore been used in John 1:1
and 1 John 1:1. It is also an appropriate as the highest military title in
the account in Rev 19:13 where he is shown to be the leader or Field Marshal
of the heavenly armies."

Mark