Re: HO LOGOS - The Marshal(ler)

From: Will Wagers (hyle@gte.net)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 14:13:02 EDT

Imagine my surprise after a prolonged absence from the list, to find one
of my favorite subjects *still* engaging the list (much to the displeasure
of some, I'm sure).

I wouldn't argue with anyone who chooses to leave LOGOS untranslated
(for the reasons Carl outlines), except that many scholars have despaired
of settling the question, which I consider insufficient reason for abandoning
the search for the best translation. But, neither would I argue with anyone
who chooses "marshal" or a similar term, which I consider to be the
appropriate meaning of LOGOS in this context.

>Please give
>feedback as to whether LOGOS could have a reference to "putting in order"
>"marshalling" rather than to a spoken word, which is the unquestioning
>assumption of many.

Yes and no. Yes, the technical, philosophical meaning going back to Heraclitus
is something like "ordering", which accords nicely with the definition of
KOSMOS
--the order of the universe, world-order (organization), order, orderly
 arrangement. No, not necessarily "rather than to a spoken word", because
the spoken word, or rather the intelligent, metaphysical principle of
organization behind the spoken word, was a popular and one of the most
ancient, paradigms for Creation in the ANE and elsewhere.

Heidegger,--who, while very competent in Greek, but uses many questionable
translation techniques--says the following:

        "LOGOS (LEGEIN, to gather and assemble) "

        "In the thinking of Heraclitus the Being (presencing) of beings
        appears as hO LOGOS, as the Laying that gathers."

                --Martin Heidegger, _Early Greek Thinking_, tr. D.F. Krell
                and F.A. Capuzzi (NY: Harper & Row, 1975)

> Isn't this similar to those lego (LEGW) blocks implying "assembling?"

I am not sure whether the lego blocks question is pure jest, but, no, it is
unlike lego blocks, which was the theory of the Atomists, the only alternative
school of Greek philosophy and, ultimately, the most correct. LOGOS is the
pure, abstract substance of organization underlying Creation (big and little
c): it is the intermediary substance with properties of both which catalyzes
the interaction of Form and Matter, thus the "Great Marshal" (or some
other clumsy term in English). The Incarnation can be interpreted as the
mythical re-enactment of this metaphysical drama, even as in the Gnostic
Gospels.

Jonathan Robie writes:

>I think that whoever came up with your translation thought
>about what the relationship between God's creative power and Jesus, and
>"Marshall" is a word that embodies his particular interpretation - he read
>this meaning into LOGOS, it is not a core meaning of LOGOS.

This relation is well-documented in Greek philosophy. It is a core meaning
of LOGOS, albeit a technical one.

>Instead, he tells us things that LOGOS "has been likened to", gives a
>theological analysis, discusses the derivation, and chooses a translation
>that matches his theology.

On the contrary, no theology at all is necessary to arrive at the "Marshal"
translation.

Will Wagers hyle@gte.net "Reality is the best metaphor."