re: Heb 6:6

From: Jim West (jwest@Highland.Net)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 15:57:04 EDT

You wrote:

To Whom does the aorist participle PARAPESONTAS in Heb. 6:6 refer?
Does it refer to believers? If so, what is the writer saying about
such ones? Conversely, could the writer's words apply to
non-Christians instead?

Thanks,

Edgar Foster

Classics Major

Lenoir-Rhyne College
<<

I take the antecedent to be "those who have tasted the gift of
enlightenment". In my estimation, the author wishes those who "taste"
Christianity to realize that if they find it unpleasant, they will not be
able to receive redemption. If they push away the plate, in other words,
there is no other food at hand.
And no, I do not think it refers to non-christians- for they have not "tasted".

As someone argued long ago- Hebrews was written to Jewish christians who
were leaving the church and returning to Judaism. This is not right, says
the author; if you give up on Christ, you will have given up on any
possibility of salvation.

Best to all,

Jim