Re: PISTIS & HOMOLOGIAN

From: Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jul 12 1998 - 21:35:06 EDT

On Sat 11 Jul 98 (21:29:33), dbielby@juno.com wrote:
> [snip] Colossians
> 1:13-23 is an example of a definite body of truth that would have been
> commonly embrace by the Church. I like the rendition the NIV gives at
> the end of this passage saying....This is the gospel....although it is
> a dynamic translation of the original. ...

 Dear David:

 Yes, I think you are right about Col 1:13-23 being a summary of part of
 the body of doctrine believed by the early church. Philippians 2:5-11 is
 another such summary of Christology, IMHO.

 Surely the "faithful sayings" in the Pastorals ("PISTOS hO LOGOS",
 1 Timothy 1:15; 4:9; 2 Timothy 2:11-13; Titus 3:8,) are references by the
 Apostle to well-known quasi-proverbial Sayings current in the Churches.

 Romans was the only Pauline epistle written to a church not founded by Paul.
 It seems that he opens it with a summary of his doctrine (chapters 1:15
 thru 8:39) beginning hOUTWS TO KAT' EME PROQUMON KAI hUMIN TOIS EN hRWMHi
 EUAGGELISASQAI. Announcing in verse 16 OU GAR EPAISCUNOMAI TO EUAGGELION...
 he then sets out in order his account of the Content of his Gospel.
 The Roman church will be able to judge whether his Gospel is authentic
 or otherwise. Now he wants to gather some fruit from among them (1:13),
 and "sets out his stall" with an eye to their approval and welcome.
 The outcome was a very warm welcome at Appii Forum and Tres Tabernae
 (Acts 28:15).

 WDYT?

 ERRWSQE,
 Ben