Re: Jude 14

From: Edgar Foster (questioning1@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 19:43:25 EDT

---clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:

> Edgar,

> Joseph B. Mayor's comment on HLQEN in Jude 14:

> The aorist here is the preterite of prophetic vision, as when
Micaiah says, "I saw all Israel scattered", cf. Apoc. 10:7, 14:8.<

> Check the references from the Apocalypse (Apoc. 10:7, 14:8) and you
will see what he is driving at.<

Clayton,

The examples in the Apocalypse are helpful. Based on the comments I've
received, it seems that the proleptic aorist has the force of the
Hebraic Qal perfect, as in Joel 1:6, 7:

"For a nation IS COME upon my land . . . He hath LAID my vine waste"
(KJV).

Is this a valid inference to draw?

Also, would it be okay to translate Jude 14: "The Lord *arrived*
[HLQEN] with his multitudes"?

Is the _sense_ of Jude 14: "The Lord IS COMING [will come] with his
multitudinous band of angels"?

Regards,

Edgar Foster

Classics Major