Re: 2 Pet 3:18 'en' as preposition

From: Steve Amato (samato@cfa.harvard.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 08:54:32 EDT

Tim wrote:
>In 2 Peter 3:18, does 'AUXANETE DE EN CARITI KAI GNWSEI TOU KURIOU
>hHMWN...' refer to growth that occurs in the environment of
>{grace-which-is-from-our-lord AND knowledge-which-is-from-our-Lord}
>implying that since we have knowledge & grace, we are now in the
>best/safest environment to learn;
>
>OR: are grace & knowledge the objects of growth and are generated/given by
>'our Lord', who is the source of these things - ie it means 'increase in
>grace and also learn more from/about 'our Lord'.

In view of the fact that he makes reference to Paul's letters in vs 16,17
and their possible misinterpretation, I would opt for the second. "Growing
in grace" could also be referring to growing with respect to application.
The book of Galatians is an example of applications of the concept of grace.

Steve Amato
http://www.xensei.com/users/samato