Re: TOUTON in Acts 13:27

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Aug 02 1998 - 16:24:23 EDT

At 11:23 AM -0700 8/02/98, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>What is the antecedent of TOUTON in Acts 13:27? Is it not O LOGOS in verse 26.
>This raises another question about the referent of O LOGOS in verse 26. I
>would have taken this referent to be impersonal, something like "the message"
>but others disagree.

(a) Given the larger context, I would say that the antecedent of TOUTON in
Acts 13:27 must be the subject of 13:25, namely hOU OUK EIMI AXIOS TO
hUPODHMA TWN PODWN LUSAI, i.e., the one heralded by John the Baptist.
(b) Since hO LOGOS in 13:26 is specifically described as hO LOGOS THS
SWTHRIAS TAUTHS, of which it is predicated that it hHMIN EXAPESTALH, I
would prefer to understand it specifically as the gospel proclamation.
(c) NEVERTHELESS, it seems to me that a plausible case could be made for
Clay's reading of TOUTON as having hO LOGOS of 13:26 as its antecedent; but
in that case, hO LOGOS must be used in an almost Johannine sense to refer
to Jesus, the message and the messenger being identical, and that may very
well be the right way to read it, although I think I prefer (a) + (b).

Carl W. Conrad
cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu