Arguments of EPHGAGON Acts 14:2a D

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 16:19:54 EDT

The verb EPHGAGON in Acts 14:2a D (Bezae) has too many arguments.

hOI DE ARCISUNAGWGOI TWN IOUDAIWN KAI hOI ARCONTES THS SUNAGWGHS EPHGAGON
AUTOIS DIWGMON KATA TWN DIKAIWN.

The problem is found in AUTOIS . . . KATA TWN DIKAIWN, these two elements
appear to be redundant. Metzger (Textual Comm.) suggests, citing Torrey, that
AUTOIS might be translated "for themselves". I am wondering if this is the
only solution.

Is it possible that the more natural translation of EPHGAGON AUTOIS DIWGMON,
"they stirred up persecution against them" might be accepted and KATA TWN
DIKAIWN could be viewed as a loosely attached additional clarifying comment.
Thus in english: "they stirred up persecution against them, [that is] against
the righteous."

I am not asking if this is the best reading, what I am asking is, does Koine
Greek syntax allow this kind of reading. Can KATA TWN DIKAIWN be simply
tacked on in this manner and still be intelligible?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point