Re: Resources for Studies of Textual Criticism

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@utc.campus.mci.net)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 18:43:29 EDT

Green's book is representative of Dean Burgon's outdated majority text
theories. This is the "scholary" basis for the King James only movement. If
you want a good treatment, better ones would be:
Aland, Kurt, and Barbara Aland. The Text of the New Testament. 2nd ed. rev.
and enl. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1989.
        [BS 2316 .A413 1989]

Black, David Alan. New Testament Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: Baker, 1994.
        [BS 2325 .B63 1993]

Epp, Eldon J., and Gordon D. Fee, eds. New Testament Textual Criticism: Its
Significance for Exegesis. Oxford: At the Clarendon Press, 1981.
        [BS 2325 .N49]

Finegan, Jack. Encountering New Testament Manuscripts: A Working
Introduction to Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1974.
        [BS 2325 .F56 1974]

Greenlee, J. Harold. Introduction to New Testament Textual Criticism. Grand
Rapids: Eerdmans, 1964.
        [BS 2325 .G67]

_____. Scribes, Scrolls, & Scripture: A Student's Guide to New Testament
Textual Criticism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1985.
        [BS 2325 .G68 1985]

Holly, David. Comparative Studies in Recent Greek Testament Texts. Rome:
Biblical Institute Press, 1983.
        [BS 2325 .H64]

Letis, Theodore P., ed. The Majority Text: Essays and Reviews in the
Continuing Debate. Grand Rapids: Institute for Biblical Textual Studies, 1987.
        [BS 2325 .M35 1987]

Metzger, Bruce M. Chapters in the History of New Testament Textual
Criticism. Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1963.
        [BS 2325 .M47]

_____. The Text of the New Testament: Its Transmission, Corruption, and
Restoration. 3rd, enl. ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 1992.
        [BS 2325 .M4 1992]

_____, ed. A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament. New York;
American Bible Society, 1975.
        [BS 2325 .M43]

Pickering, Wilbur N. The Identity of the New Testament Text. Nashville,
Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, 1977.
        [BS 2325 .P52]

Scrivener, Frederick Henry. A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New
Testament: For the use of
        Biblical Students. 2 vols. Cambridge: Deighton Bell, reprint Archives
Bookstore.
                [Not available in the library]

Sturz, Harry A. The Byzantine Text-Type & New Testament Textual Criticism.
Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson, 1984.
        [BS 2325 .S78 1984]

Taylor, Vincent. The Text of the New Testament: A Short Introduction.
London: Macmillan, 1961.
        [BS 2325 .T246]

Westcott, Brooke Foss, and Fenton John Anthony Hort. Introduction to the New
Testament in the Original Greek. Peabody, Masschusetts: Hendrickson, 1988.
        [BS 1965 .E88]

White, James R. The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust the Modern
Translations? Minneapolis, Minnesota: Bethany House Publishers, 1995.

At 08:47 PM 9/7/98 +0200, you wrote:
>Gregor P. Turkanik wrote:
>>Subject: Re: Earliest New Testament Manuscripts
>>On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Bart Ehrman wrote:
>>And Comfort's _Early Manuscripts and Modern Translations of the
>>NT_ is just riddled with silly mistakes=20
>>So which book would be with less errors? I have little access to books
>>and this one is the only on Early Manuscripts that I have (sic!).
>

>For the comprehensive treatment of the issue I would recommend the two
>volume set: "Unholy Hands on the Bible", edited by Jay P. Green, Sr. and
>published by Sovereign Grace Trust Fund.
>
>Another book worth of reading is "The Corruption of the Word" by Kevin
>James, distributed by Micro-Load Press, Box 92 St. Rt., Williamsburg, New
>Mexico 87942, USA.
>
>Yet another resource that comes on my mind is the Internet site "Inspired By
>The Encyclopedia of New Testament Textual Criticism" that may be found at
>http://www.skypoint.com/~waltzmn/
>
>Should you need more pointers or materials, please contact me off-list.
>

>Best Regards,
>
>Pawel Lutze
>paulos@kki.net.pl
>

>---