Re: Majority Text

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Fri Sep 11 1998 - 18:19:29 EDT

At 11:52 AM 9/11/98 EDT, Paul S. Dixon wrote:

>On Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:20:28 -0500 "Carl W. Conrad" wrote:

>>Generally speaking, those favoring
>>the Majority Text tend to be quite conservative theologically, while
>>those favoring the NA27/UBS4 text are less conservative or not at all
>>conservative.
>
>Carl, I'm not sure your last statement here is correct. Most of the
>conservative seminaries I am familiar with (at least a dozen,
>off the top of my head) endorse, for the most part, the eclectic
>text (NA or UBS).

Paul,

I think when it comes down to it that most who favor the Majority Text or
Textus Receptus also favor the King James translation, and these people
are, as Carl suggests, quite conservative in general. Many conservatives,
as you say, prefer Nestle-Aland.

A = is quite conservative
B = prefers Majority Text

Suppose:

B => A

That does not mean that

not B => not A

I think that's called the Negative Inference Fallacy or something like that...

Jonathan