Re: Greek Pronunciation

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 08:59:24 EDT

At 01:19 PM 9/10/98, Mark O'Brien wrote:

>This article actually caused me to experiment for a while with the modern
>pronunciation scheme whilst reading my NT, and I must say that although one
>does lose the ability to differentiate between many of the vowel sounds,
>the language does suddenly seem to "live" a little (a personal observation,
>of course). It seems to take on the sound and feeling of a real language,
>rather than what I have always felt was a very artificial flavour.

I tend to use an Erasmian pronunciation with the rhythm of modern Greek. To
me, it gives the life of modern pronunciation without losing the advantage
of keeping sounds distinct, which makes it easier to look things up in the
dictionary.

I must admit to a fondness for the AU and EU sounds of modern, and I use
them when I'm reading to myself, but not when I record for the Little Greek
site.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine