Re: Holy Spirit and grammar

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 20:57:33 EDT

At 06:28 PM 9/21/98 +0000, Jim West wrote:
>At 04:32 PM 9/21/98 +0100, Edgar Krentz wrote:

>>My only problem here is the phrase "language of the market and gutter."
>>That is only partly true. It all reflects the Greek language in use in the
>>first century of the Roman Empire; but it is not all street and market
>>language. Some of ite can be rather sophisticated. For example, Hebrews
>>uses the phrase NUN DE to indicate the real state of affairs after a
>>statement of unreality.
>
>Yes, tis true that Hebrews is given to a more literary style- and it is also
>true that Luke and 1 Peter are very good Greek. So I accept your
clarification.

My impression is that the Revelation is the only book that seems to contain
incorrect Greek, and that most of the Greek in the NT is written by
educated people, though not in a high literary style. The phrase "language
of the market and gutter" would suggest Greek written by people with very
little education at all, and I don't think that is accurate.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no