Re: Phillipians 2:1 PNEUMATOS - Big S or little S?

From: Steve Long (steve@allegrographics.com)
Date: Mon Sep 28 1998 - 04:18:43 EDT

>Am I correct in thinking that the phrase:
>"EI TIS KOINWNIA PNEUMATOS"
>could be translated
> 1) "if any fellowship of spirit" (ie our own spirits)
>OR 2) "if any fellowship (with each other) that derives from the (holy)
>Spirit"
>OR 3) "if any fellowship with the (Holy) Spirit"
>
>Is it more likely, given that PNEUMATOS is antharous, that the first
>option is correct? Would the presence of the article still leave us
>uncertain between option (2) and option (3)?
>
>Tim Duke
>Sydney

I'm wondering why it has to be one or the other and not all of the above.
If we translate it as "spiritual fellowship", it need not be one or the
other. Through our spirit we have fellowship with one another in the Holy
Spirit and with the Holy Spirit. Maybe we should look at the lack of an
article as inclusive rather exclusive. A commonality of our spirits with
the Spirit of God. Making the noun PNEUMATOS into an adjective puts the
focus back on the fellowship where it belongs.

Steve

Steve Long
steve@allegrographics.com
Saint Peters, Missouri