RE: What to Read Next?

From: Perry L. Stepp (plstepp@flash.net)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 09:46:45 EDT

A solid, basic introduction to biblical genres is Fee and Stuart's *How to
Read the Bible for All It's Worth*. It extensively discusses the
differences between the basic genres--letter, narrative, prophecy, law,
poetry, etc. It does not discuss the finer genre distinctions that are
currently being studied--for example, is 2 Timothy a personal paranaetic
letter, or an epistolary testament? They do discuss basic exegetical
procedures: in fact, I find Fee and Stuart's discussion of exegesis in *How
to Read* more helpful than their expanded discussions in *NT Exegesis* and
*OT Exegesis*, respectively.

Fee and Stuart are solidly Evangelical. There's a slightly more mainstream
introduction by--I *think*--Hayes and Holliday, I'm not as familiar with
this one. My recollection is that their approach was similar to Fee and
Stuart's in most respects.

Perry L. Stepp

Pastor, DeSoto Christian Church, DeSoto TX
Ph.D. Candidate in Religion, Baylor University
#1 Cowboy Fan
Keeper of the Top-10, news://alt.fan.letterman
mail to: plstepp@flash.net

"That depends on what the definition of the word 'is' is."
     --William Jefferson Clinton, 17 August 1998