"to call upon the name of ..."

From: Jeffrey B. Gibson (jgibson000@ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 13:34:23 EDT

B-Greeks,

Recently I've had occasion to ponder the meaning of the phrase "to call
upon the name of ..." which is usually rendered in the LXX and GNT with
some form of EPIKALEW. I had always thought, rather uncritically I
admit, that the pharse more or less meant something like "to call out to
X", especially for aid. But for a variety of reasons it now seems to me
that, at least in Acts 9:14 and in Rom. 10:12, 14, if not also in Gen.
4:26, the phrase actually means something like "to be or remain faithful
to X". Does this perception have any validity. Is it the case in the LXX
and GNT or for that matter in Koine in general, that "calling upon *the
name of* someone" is thought to be an activity distinct from "calling
upon/crying out to" someone"? It seems that, if so, such a distinction
has large ramifications for exegesis.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--