Re: Philippians 3:14

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 19 1998 - 08:52:40 EDT

<x-rich>At 7:17 AM -0500 10/19/98, John M. Sweigart wrote:

>List-members;

>I have been looking at this verse with surrounding context lately and

>have been wondering if the phrase EPI KLHSEWS ANW defines the "prize"

>that Paul is pursuing.

>I am aware of the textual problem with the preposition. If the

>prepositional phrase does not define the "prize" then what are the
other

>grammatical options for the phrase?

The text: KATA SKOPON DIWKW EIS TO BRABEION THS ANW KLHSEWS TOU QEOU EN
sandwiched between the article and KLHSEWS, so that there can be no
question, at least, about the reference of ANW).

My own inclination would be to understand THS ANW KLHSEWS as partitive
and understand the sense of the whole (most literally as) "On the
course of the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus I press goalward
toward the prize." On the other hand, I don't really see any impediment
to understanding THS ANW KLHSEWS as an adnominal limiting genitive.
Seems to me that there are a number of ways of construing these
elements but that they all yield the same fundamental sense. </color>

Carl W. Conrad

</x-rich>